Sunday, April 10, 2011

Lost and Found

When Charlie counted in "Old Joe Clark" to start off the show, I was in the dressing room...in my underwear.

Or, rather, that's the starting point of many Barrage-related nightmares I have. We all have them, and often have fun recounting them at breakfast. 

This morning, I woke up from a particularly troubling Barrage-related nightmare which involved, primarily, the hunt for my lost phone. Fortunately, I ended up finding it right before I woke up. [It was, obviously, in the glove compartment of our van...]

Perhaps even more disturbing was that before I found my phone--while dreaming--I thought about how I would tell the story of my lost phone in my blog. And, in a departure from how I normally compose entries, I settled on a title first:

Lost and Found.

After all of the effort my subconscious spent thinking about that fictional title, I consciously feel bad just disregarding it...and yet, it also seems strangely apropos for this entry.

-----

We've been in Wisconsin for the last few days. I don't remember ever having seen this many farms in my life. 

I also don't know if I've ever seen this sign before in my life...

Click on this photo to see it larger.
-----

Last week in Dubuque, IA, we went to the opera. Well, not exactly...we went to the Metropolitan Opera's re-aired, live, high definition broadcast of Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor

It was stunning. 

Sure, the broadcast was 4 hours and 20 minutes...but there were two 30-minute intermissions, and it was only $13! Not a bad way to spend the night. 

If you're not sure whether or not you like opera, this is a great way to learn if you do, and it's a lot cheaper than actually going to an opera.

[For the record, this is the second time I've seen an opera. The first time was actually at the Met, and I was incredibly underwhelmed...but I think I just didn't like the opera I saw.]

Before
1st Intermission
2nd Intermission
After
[Also for the record, the absurd faces do not accurately portray our thoughts...we're just a ridiculous group of people. In all honesty, all four of us really did like it.]

-----

Mississippi River. L to R: Charlie, Dave, Hidayat.
I'm gonna go ahead and assume the river level is high right now...
Click on this panoramic photo to see it larger.
-----

This afternoon I had some tendon pain. Unfortunate? Yes. Unexpected? Not really; I probably took overeager advantage of the extra bits of practice time I found in the past few days. 

...whoops...

Regardless, I didn't play too much during our sound check and rehearsal. So, I went out into the house and listened to the band play through some tunes.

It was a thrilling experience, as I haven't listened to Barrage live and through a sound system since my training nearly three years ago.

It's practically impossible to describe the kick I get out of listening to Barrage. I was giddy with excitement. Amusingly, I actually found myself thinking, "...I want to be in this band!"  [Rules of conventional writing aside, it was more like: AGHHHHHSFKSJD!!!!!! I WANT TO BE IN THIS BAAAAAAAANNNNDDDDD!!!!!!!]

Half-way through Devil's Nightmare, I was overcome with emotion. For the second time I can ever remember, I was in hysterics, simultaneously laughing and crying.

This probably seems just as crazy to you as it does to me. 

But, to me, it almost seems even crazier that what I once called my "dream job" has become, literally, just that: a job about which I get to dream.

4 comments:

Josephine said...

Masterfully composed. Way to pull it all together. I'm serious.

Alli said...

My favorite part of this post is the fact that Hidayat's straw looks like it's going up Charlie's nose in the 2nd intermission picture.

Diary said...

:) Ah, the dream of being in Barrage. You're awesome Taylor, You inspire me!

Allyson & Jere said...

LOVE this post! You truly ARE lucky to have such an amazing job. One which you love and also excell at.