Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Auf Wiedersehen!

Though Annette had already with Barrage for three months prior to my joining in June 2008, she and I did quite a bit of training together. Annette was busy strengthening her knowledge of the show and improving her playing, and I was learning the last bits of choreography I didn't know and trying to figure out how to play violin while moving.  Regardless of the three-month difference in skill, we were both still new to the group; as such, we would commiserate after rehearsals about the difficulty of combining the already challenging music with the stage movements.

While almost three years have passed since then, I still remember the excitement, frustration, awe, and joy of that period as though it were yesterday. And from that time, Annette and I had a wonderful relationship, not only as co-workers, but also as friends. Because we endured the training together, and grew aware of how to be in Barrage together, we nearly always knew what the other was thinking. Annette and I could give each other the tiniest look and both be exactly on the same page with regard to whatever issue was at hand.

Though we've known for some time that Annette's final show would be April 3rd, the adjustment to not having her here is still somewhat odd. And though I've now been around to see four violinists leave this band, I'm realizing in retrospect that each departure has affected me in a different way. When Alicia left a few months after I joined, I was devastated and terrified: being so young, so new to the job, and having idolized Alicia so much prior to joining, I remember not understanding how the show could go on without her. I was saddened to see Sarah leave in the summer of 2009, knowing I would miss the times when the two of us would laugh ourselves to tears. (To this day, just recalling episodes with Sarah can still bring me to that point!) Jason's departure last summer forced a weird coming-of-age. After the four years I'd known him, the two years I'd been in the band with him (most of which also as a roommate), Jason had become to me something like an older brother, in the way that I always felt he knew the answers to all problems.

Once, it was strange to think that I would no longer be the newest violinist. Then, it became stranger to think that I was the not the newer male violinist. Now, it's incredibly strange for me to think that the only violinist who has been in longer is Kristina...

...how did this happen? Where did everyone go? I never imagined when I joined that the time would come when I would be on the older end, experience-wise, of the violinists (especially as the second youngest person, age-wise, in the band).

I'm thrilled, however, that Annette's final day in the band was such a great one!

We stopped for breakfast in Stowe, VT, had lunch in Concord, NH, and were in Sudbury, MA, for the show. It was truly a blast working with the orchestra and choir at Lincoln-Sudbury HS -- I did a sectional with the guys in the choir before the full rehearsal and they were so incredibly prepared! Plus, they were hilarious. Nothing makes our workshops more fun than when the students have their music learned and are ready to have a great time.  (Thank you, LSHS!)

Two state capitols in two days!  Concord, NH.
Sitting in some theatre chairs backstage with my hilarious friend from ASU, Lindsey.
Awkward photo (in which my computer refused to fix the red-eye for some reason...?).
Cast photo before Annette's final show. L to R: Daniel, Kiana, me, Annette, Tim, Kristina, Hidayat, and Charlie.
Saying goodbye on stage.
Group hug!
Saying goodbye in Boston.
Thank you, Annette!  I'll miss having you around!

5 comments:

Allyson & Jere said...

Awwww, that is sad. It's always hard to say goodbye to friends. Sweet tribute to Annette.

Nichole said...

You know how you guys went to Red Robin and Star Cenima..? Well those two are close to my house(: I've been following your blog since my friend found it the day after you came to Dubuque. Do you know Mrs. Rush? Well on the 6th-your day off-we were like freaking out because we found out you were still here in Dubuque. We asked her if she could like call you guys and ask you if you could come to Eleanor Roosevelt Middle School. She wouldn't let us. Apparently we were too busy. But I really enjoyed seeing you guys perform at te Grand Opera House!!!

Diary said...

Why do people come and go all the time? I've been a fan of Barrage ever since the original canadian group. Is it for career change? school? or age?

Taylor Morris said...

Thanks, Allyson!

And thanks, Nichole, for all of the kind comments you've left on my blog!

Armando, that's a great question, and one which I don't think I've ever addressed here! People leave Barrage for all sorts of reasons. Some leave music and change careers, some go back to school, some just want to settle down with their significant other, and some take other music jobs (a couple have even worked for Cirque du Soleil).

One of the biggest reasons for leaving, I think, is that people become tired of the touring and are ready to "move on." Being on the road so many weeks a year can make it difficult to have any sort of normalcy in one's life--it really is an all-encompassing job in that way.

Ultimately, like any other job, people seem to stay as long as they feel the positives continue to outweigh the negatives.

Diary said...

Thanks for the reply, Taylor!

You guys have not done a show in Vancouver in ages. Last I saw was I think 2002. Nevertheless, I still look up to you guys for inspiration, whenever the violin challenges me! Gaaaaaaaaaaah! :)

Though I have not seen your show for ages, I'm still updated through your blog. Thank you so much for writing.