Saturday, October 16, 2010

When in Memphis

I'm currently sitting in my hotel room happy about two different things: 
1) My laundry is in the dryer (having a suitcase where every item is clean is one of touring life's simpler pleasures).
2) I successfully evaded paying $8.95 for a "continental breakfast" by walking down the street to a drive-thru-only coffee shop, lining up behind a car, walking up to the window, and ordering breakfast.  Success!

The past few days have been wonderfully Southern.  After performing in Chattanooga (which seemed, from the car, like a really cool city), we had to make a long drive over to Jonesboro, Arkansas.  But, we decided to make a few smart stops along the way, including having lunch in Nashville, and spending the night in Memphis.

In Nashville, Daniel took us to his favorite Mexican place, Baja Burrito, which serves its burritos in the choose-your-own-ingredients style of Chipotle.  As a Chipotle enthusiast, and a loyal fan of authentic, quality Mexican food (I generally avoid Mexican outside of the Southwest as much as a I can), I was secretly skeptical.  However, I'm pleased to say that Baja Burrito proved itself to be the exception to the rule!  It was absolutely incredible (and much better than Chipotle).  Check it out when you're in Nashville.

With Mexican Coke!  (Keep your eye out for Mexican Coke...I'm starting to see it being sold more often in the US.  I think it's much better than American Coke, mainly because it's made with cane sugar and not high fructose corn syrup...plus it's in a glass bottle, which is just more awesome.)

We finished the drive to Memphis with our taste buds eagerly anticipating BBQ the whole way.  So, what could be more perfect upon arriving at our hotel than learning we could be picked up in a pink Cadillac and driven to dinner?  The answer is pretty much nothing, thanks to the clever convenience provided by Marlowe's Restaurant.

After dirtying his fingers with BBQ ribs, Charlie needed some help eating his coleslaw...
L to R: Charlie, Kristina, Hidayat, Annette, John, Daniel, Tim, and me
Before leaving Memphis, we visited Graceland, former home of Elvis Presley.  Admittedly, I didn't really know anything about Elvis.  As myself a cultural product of the late '90s and early 2000s, Elvis, who died in 1977 (10 years before I was born), wasn't relevant for me and my peers.  He was merely some antiquated sex symbol of the '60s and '70s, whose undisputed status as "The King of Rock 'n' Roll" did not prevent him from being (somewhat unjustly) grouped with other deceased relics of popular music.

All that being said, I wasn't exactly enthused about going; it felt more like an obligation than a desire. But visiting Elvis' house turned out to be one of the most surprising, enlightening, amazing and awe-inspiring things I've done in recent memory.  In hindsight, it seems absurd that I knew as little about him as I did.  And while I still only really know what I learned in the self-guided audio tour (which was impeccably pieced together and highly effective), I now realize just how amazing Elvis was, not only as a musician and performer, but also as a person.

Truly an inspiring visit.  You must make time to visit Graceland if you find yourself in Memphis.

Living room.
Dining room.
From the back.
 
The dining room inside the Lisa Marie.

1 comment:

Allyson & Jere said...

I too am stunned at your lack of knowledge and or like for Elvis. I mean, I am no crazy Elvis head or anything, but I have always appreciated what a great musician he was. Eccentric, yes, but GREAT at what he did.
Once again, so glad you're having these experiences and learning so much. And now, I want some good bbq. Thanks.