Sunday, February 5, 2012

Action Verbs: Cook, Practice, Create.

You know those days when you are heading to bed and whatever you did in the morning feels like it must have been weeks ago because you did so much during your day?

That was yesterday's day off. And it was awesome.

Here's what I first saw out my bedroom window yesterday morning:

How could it not be a good day after that?
I kicked it off by inviting the band over for breakfast and cooking Dutch pannenkoeken (thicker than crepes, thinner than pancakes) for everyone. I have cooked them a few times at home, picked up some tricks along the way, and found myself preparing them more consistently. Pannenkoeken has become one of the few things I feel really confident about making, which in turn makes them more fun to prepare...it's one of those the-better-you-are-the-more-fun-it-is things. [Young musicians, take note: playing an instrument is definitely one of those things!]

I watched some inspirational videos of musicians on YouTube and parlayed that inspiration into an afternoon of practicing.

We went to dinner at a restaurant across the street. More of a miss than a hit for me, but it was still shared with great people.

Then, a group of us watched the Janine Jansen documentary on the really nice TV here in our house.

All in all, a great day off. Few actual activities, but all quality, great ones.

We've got a show today, another day off tomorrow (!), and then the ever-popular six shows in a row.

Before I leave to go on a run with Kiana, there's this quote I want to share that's been on my mind. 

I'm not much of a magazine reader, but since I joined Barrage and found myself on planes all the time, I have become an avid reader of Esquire. I love the variety of content, I love the way it's written and laid out, and I love the experience of reading it. I don't have a subscription because I'm never home, but I think I've read nearly every issue in the past three or so years because I actively look for new issues in airports.

Anyway, every once in a while I read something in an issue that sticks with me. Maybe it's because I'm a musician, or a blogger, or even just a pannenkoeken enthusiast, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about this quote. So, I'll leave you with it:

"You should make something. You should bring something into the world that wasn't in the world before. It doesn't matter what that is. It doesn't matter if it's a table or a film or gardening--everyone should create. You should do something, then sit back and say, 'I did that.'" - Ricky Gervais, Esquire (February 2012)

No comments: