Friday, January 20, 2012

Fall 2011: I'm still getting by with a little help from my friends.

Only two shows after a wedding in Mexico and I already feel like I'm settled comfortably back into tour. 

Which, unfortunately, is a feeling usually coupled with a general anxiety about needing to get things done.

It's not always anything in particular...just, you know, things. E-mails, facebook messages, organizing my computer, updating iTunes, blogging, mailing coffee beans to my brother.

Things.

It was great to get down to Puerto Vallarta last week for the wedding of a best friend and former roommate, Nora. Not only did I get a chance to room and catch up with another best friend and other former roommate, Ryan, but it was also nice to relax, enjoy the beautiful weather, and take it all in.

The wedding party on the beach.
Reception cruise during sunset.
A dolphin appeared to swim along with the boat!
Nora with her awesome husband Casey. (How did I never get a photo with just the two of you the whole weekend?)
With Nora.
Here's a nice picture of the three former roommates...
...but this is what we look like most of the time.
I'm not even sure how many times I've been to Disneyland with Ryan, Nora, and her new husband, Casey, but I'm already looking forward to the next trip!

Speaking of traveling and friends, I was terrible this past fall at mentioning the fantastic people in my life who came to shows all over the US (and Canada, too!). As is still the tradition with this blog, I always post when a friend comes to a show. In something resembling chronological order:

Lauren and Bonnie, two amazing friends from college. Bel Air, MD.
Terra, a former studio-mate and great, violinist friend from ASU.
Allison, a friend from the road with one of coolest moms Barrage has met in recent memory. [Randomly, Allison holds the unique distinction of being the person from whom I first heard that Michael Jackson died.]
Kim, one of my longest friends (since 3rd grade!) and her boyfriend Nathan. West Chester, PA.
Ashley, another great friend from college and doctor-to-be! Bexley, OH.
Daniel and me with our fiddler friend, Thomas, whom we met at the Mark O'Connor camp in Charleston this past summer. Austin, TX.
Willie, a friend from ASU and cellist with the Skyros Quartet. Austin, TX.
Alex and Allison, two awesome, musician friends from ASU. Denver, CO.
With the incomparable Denis Dufrense! The very first "Violin C" in Barrage (the part I have today) and my personal idol for many, many, many years. Be sure to check out his band Pear, formed with his wife and Barrage alumna, Lynae! Calgary, AB.
With Marcus, friend and former quartet-mate from the Killington Music Festival. You can actually still see a picture of us playing together in 2007 on KMF's website, here! London, ON.
Thank you Lauren, Bonnie, Terra, Allison R., Kim, Nathan, Ashley, Thomas, Willie, Alex, Allison K., Denis, and Marcus for coming to see a show last fall!

I've always thought one of the best parts of playing with Barrage is not only getting to travel, but also getting to see friends who live in other places. One more reason I feel so lucky to be here -- when I'm one day no longer with Barrage, I'll definitely miss getting to see these people so easily!