Sunday, March 28, 2010

Northeast to Southwest

It seems as though we've pretty much been traveling non-stop since getting back on tour two weeks ago yesterday: Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware, through Ohio en route to Oklahoma and Kansas, and now Colorado.

However, I love being back on the road and touring so heavily!

And in perhaps the most fortuitous of travel phenomena, I unexpectedly got to spend a whole afternoon in Cleveland hanging out with Ryan, one of my best friends from home and my roommate for 3 years while at ASU. [Oddly enough, I got to spend 45 minutes with Ryan at the Starbucks under his apartment when we were passing through Cleveland last fall, as well.] This time, though, we actually got to spend time catching up in person, and he even gave me a tour of the Cleveland Institute of Music, where he currently attends graduate school:

In front of CIM.

This past weekend we found ourselves performing in beautiful Aspen, Colorado. I'd never been up into the Rocky Mountains before, so it was wonderful seeing snow-covered Aspen, even for just a day.

We arrived a few hours before soundcheck and took the opportunity to explore the area immediately surrounding the Wheeler Opera House, where we performed that night.

Annette and me in front of the famous bear sculpture, made of nails.

Boden's Butter, the coolest cafe/bakery/cheese/wine store...in the world.
Check it out the next time you're in Aspen.

An unexpected challenge of the Aspen show was performing at elevation. Fortunately, the theatre owners had the foresight to provide oxygen tanks for us backstage. By the end of the first three tunes (which are currently some of the more aerobic ones), I found myself slightly light-headed, and hit the oxygen tank frequently for the rest of the show, though mostly as a prophylactic measure to insure I wouldn't find myself passing out on stage.

A photo of Natalie MacMaster in the green room.

The snow storms had finally passed by the time we drove back down to Denver yesterday afternoon, which meant that we actually got to see the Rocky Mountains. Here are some pictures I snapped from riding shotgun.

Performance in Thornton, Colorado, tonight!

No comments: