Sunday, November 22, 2009

Rounding the Corner

It's that time of the tour.

In what seems to be a consistent pattern I've noted over the past year-and-a-half, there's always a point just prior to finishing tour when you intensely start to crave home.

And it doesn't matter, interestingly enough, how long the tour is. The tour could be 10 days, 1 month, or 3 months (like this current one).

It's as though your brain chooses to block out the concept of what it is to "miss home," for sake of your own self-preservation. It knows you can't think about home early on in a tour or you'll go crazy. But now, one week away from going home, the end is in sight and my brain has lost its will-power.

There's always some sort of trigger, too. I should have seen this moment coming because this morning provided the perfect setting. I woke up early to go for a run, put my suitcase on the truck, ate breakfast with Hiddy, Annette and Kiana, and then came back to my room where Jason was sleeping. So, naturally, I got out my laptop and signed into facebook.

And that's when it happened. It was as though, for the first time this tour, I was consciously realizing all these things I'm missing at home right now...a close friend's recital the other day, my former violin professor's recital tonight, the smell of my mom's soup and the quickness of my dad's wit. Reading status updates and seeing old pictures can be so destructively nostalgic!

Off to Brampton, Ontario, for tonight's show.

Home in 7 days.

1 comment:

Sabrina Bodine said...

TAYLOR!!!!!! I was so excited when I stumbled onto you blog. I noticed it on Allyson's blog.
Anyway, I have occasionally wondered, "What ever happened to Taylor Morris?" only because you were always oober talented and I knew you would do something great.
I have spent the last two days reading your blog. I started from the very beginning. I am amazed at all the places you have been and all the things you have done. You look great and I would kill to see you perform. I currently live in Utah so, if you are ever in the area PLEASE let me know.
Let's keep in touch:) Congrats on all your success!