Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Kids really do say the darndest things.

Three shows have happened this far.  Each one has had (at least) one awesome occurrence!

Saturday - My friend Kim, who I've known since elementary school, came and saw her third Barrage show!  (No picture was taken, unfortunately, because she had to go right afterward.)

Sunday - My roommate of three years, Ryan, was finally able to see a show!  It meant a lot to me to have Ryan there, not only because he's one of my closest friends, but also because he was my roommate when I was auditioning for Barrage back in 2006.  He was there with me through all of the highs and lows inherent in any long audition process, and was now able to see in person what Barrage is all about.  Plus, now that he doesn't live in Arizona, it's always great just to hang out with him!

Ryan drove five hours, each way, in one day to see the show!  Thank you, Ryan!
Monday (yesterday) - Barrage played an educational show with over 250 students (elementary to high school) in Reading, PA.  This, in itself, was a monumental happening, as it was the largest educational program any of us can remember doing.

As a result of having so many kids, each violinist was kind of "in charge" of a group of kids somewhere on stage or in the audience.  I was helping with a group of beginners, who were probably around 7 or 8 years old.  They couldn't play "Old Joe Clark," but they would occasionally hop in on a simplified harmony part. 

I told them that when they weren't playing, they should try to move a little bit, e.g., tapping a foot, bobbing a head.  The littlest girl in the group (who was also the most outgoing), was really eager to show off her dance moves, enthusiastically twisting up and down.

When they left rehearsal, she excitedly shared with me that she was going to wear heels to the show.

During intermission, the kids began to take their places on stage and in the audience.  I went down to my area in front of the stage and saw all the little ones dressed up and raring to go.  The little girl called over to me, "Taylor!  Taylor!"

As though she were someone two or three times her age, she lifted up one foot, showed me her tiny heels, and said, quite exasperatedly, "Taylor, my heels are killing me!"

1 comment:

Allyson & Jere said...

It's Mt Pelier, or Montpilier, however you say or spell it. I literally went straight to comments and put this in, because I so TOTALLY know my state capitals. ok, NOW I can go back and read your post.